Saturday, January 24, 2009

Welcome

I have a confession. I love watching HGTV, the Home and Garden network. Although I am a 21 year old girl who doesn’t even have a home or garden to cater to, I still adore learning, watching and hearing about interior design.

Although you might not want to admit it, interior design relates to everyone, regardless of age, gender, class or race. Even if you are a college student who has a room full of mismatched furniture, it is that same mismatched furniture you see, feel, sit or run into everyday.

I hope to inform my readers about the world of interior design. I want to show how different styles can be used to express individuality, personality and taste. By sharing a large variety of styles, such as Asian, contemporary, country, eclectic, English country, Mediterranean, mission, modern, romantic, traditional, transitional, tropical or even western, I want to ensure that there is something to inspire everyone.

Designers that have inspired me personally include Rachel Ashwell, Thomas O-Brien, Jamie Drake, Alex Papachristidis, Steven Gambrel, Candice Olson, Kenneth Brown, Phillip Greenberg and Angelo Surmelis to name a few. Although all these designers’ work differs from one another, they all have the uncanny ability to maintain their own point of view. I respect their ability to illustrate their unique vision no matter what type of room they design.

I want to share these renowned designers’ work not to set an unreachable standard for my readers, but to inspire them. I want to show that beautiful furniture, drapes, bedding, pillows or flooring does not always have an expensive price tag attached. Although it might take a disposable income to hire the top designer and afford custom made furniture, it is important to remember that style is free. As long as you are willing to be creative, anyone can surround himself or herself with functional and inspirational design.

It is also important to realize that interior design is not restricted to the home. Interior design is essential for hotels, apartment buildings, restaurants, stores and bars. I want to share the ways these buildings can elicit a feeling or mood just by their interior design.

A major trend that has started to infiltrate the design world is the notion of “going green”. There are a plethora of ways people can be environmentally friendly when designing a room. There is even a television show on HGTV “Red, Hot and Green”, which focuses on designing with the environment in mind. Each episode features an eco-friendly room makeover. I want to share ideas I have gathered from the show and other articles to help inspire others to be more green.

Whether it is that Dallas Cowboys wallpaper you remember having splashed all over your walls when you were growing up, or the antique desk you inherited from your grandparents, the items that make up a your interior design signifies a part of you. What you surround yourself with not only represents you life, but also influences it.

No comments:

Post a Comment