Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Pageflake Tour

Wouldn’t it be nice to have useful information about interior design from all over the Internet, neatly compiled in one location? Well lucky for you, I am about to make your life much easier...

I recently created a page on pageflakes to help organize all the information I have collected about interior design. The first thing you will notice on my pageflake is this blog, conveniently located at the top right corner. To the right of that window is a list of RSS feeds.

I personally have a dangerous addiction to interior design blogs. Once I start, I find it hard to stop. I might want to quickly check what has been recently added to a blog, but before I know it, it is two hours later and I have over 15 windows open on my poor little laptop. These RSS feeds have eliminated the insanity I once endured, not to mention the hours wasted, trying to remain updated on the many blogs I like to follow.

These feeds that I have compiled are not only popular, but also extremely informative with a lot to offer to its readers. Whether you are remodeling a kitchen, or want to spruce up the look of your dining room chairs, these blogs undoubtedly have the ability inspire the interior designer in you.

Going in order from top to bottom on my pageflake, the blogs I like to read are Material Girls, So Haute, Design Sponge, Remodelista, Bloesem, decor8, Eddie Ross, Habitually Chic, Absolutely Beautiful Things, Superuse, Apartment Therapy, and The Design Blog. This collection of RSS feeds is appealing because of the different perspectives they have to offer. Some blogs, like Material Girls, is written collaboratively by a group of people, while other blogs, like Eddie Ross, are written by individuals. Another unique aspect of this particular RSS feed is that the blogs are being written all over the country. From Los Angeles to New York and everywhere in between, different design aesthetics are easily accessible at the click of a mouse.

Thanks to this list of RSS feeds, I stumbled upon an intriguing post from Material Girls titled, Mixing Science With Design. This post motivated me to uncover more information on the psychological impact of color. The information I discovered can be found in the CiteLine window located under the heading, “zotero bilbliography”. These sources include other studies similar to the one discussed on Material Girls, as well as books and articles from Science journals and the International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management. One book in particular that I have gained a lot of information from is John Pile’s book, Color in Interior Design. There is an entire chapter on the psychological impact of color, with a section that breaks down the feelings that certain colors elicit.

Under my bibliography are my social bookmarking soulmate’s bookmarks. I found my social bookmarking soulmate, GardenCityMovement, on the popular social booking site, delicious. GardenCityMovement is constantly introducing me to new and interesting sites such as the site about recycling called SuperUse.

More sites can be found in the window located under GardenCityMovement’s bookmarks. These are my personal bookmarks saved on my diigo account tagged with “interiordesign”. Most recently, I have been bookmarking sites about the new interior designer hired to decorate the White House, Michael Smith. One of my bookmarks is a clip from the Today Show that discusses the White House’s recent décor and Michael Smith’s background. I found it on the RSS feed for the blog, So Haute.

The remaining resources that can be found on my pageflake are the universal news search and the universal blog search. Both flakes share the latest developments on interior design.

Hopefully my pageflake will not only save you time, but will also inspire you.

No comments:

Post a Comment